Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Day 3

I happen to come across an article last week that talked about how copying other drawings is the best and most challenging way for a sketch artist to improve their skills.  Now, I'm an...okay sketch artist, I would say.  Not great by a long shot, but decent.  I'm actually at my best when copying other drawings, though that still isn't stellar.  And I haven't really drawn anything in quite some time (unless you count the Animation Academy at Disney's California Adventure).  So, today I decided to start improving my skills more.

I decided to copy a comic book panel.  I've never attempted to sketch anything from a comic before, unless you count Snoopy or Calvin.  Man, do I have a new found respect for comic book artists! They have such a great talent that I am not even close to.  Below are my results.

The original work from "Astonishing X-Men: Gifted"
My version
It's a little longer in the face and a bit crooked.  But I am definitely going to keep up with these exercises.  These peeps know how to draw!

No comments:

Post a Comment